Thursday, August 16, 2007

Day 4 - Mom's Update

Today was the day we got some answers... Mom has breast cancer that has metastasized and bone cancer (Stage 4) ... a tumor and a lesion on one of her breast and a large tumor on her lumbar spine (L2-L5 including S1) and pin-size holes from the bone cancer (not multiple myeloma - like doctors originally suspected) covering her skull. It is treatable, but not curable. She is scheduled to be released tomorrow. She will be spending some more time at our house; while we secure a rehab facility for her. They are telling us she needs 24 hour medical care. It is imperative that she is cautious with her bones being so fragile. We have our first meeting with Mary Bird Perkins Cancer Center on Monday and treatment (radiation and chemo) to begin soon after. They will be trying to reduce with radiation the size of the back tumor in order to reduce the amount of pain she is in. Numerous doctors, nurses, and individuals who have experienced bone cancer say it is the most painful.

Mom mentally is doing great considering. We are all overwhelmed and shocked by what we have learned this week. One phone call changed our lives. For months, we fought a battle with a dislocated pelvis and a possible disc problem - never dreamed cancer would be the cause of the pain. Carl, Karen, Christi, Todd, and I have all pulled together to support Mom with our battle; please join us and pray.

There are so many special people to thank for the work and efforts they have done for us this week. Our employers for their understanding, Mrs. Linda (Mom's best friend) for sitting at the hospital with us, Aunt Linda and Uncle Paul for the shoulders and breaks that you have given us, Mrs. Barbara (my neighbor) for calling the priest Fr. Joe, and other ministries for prayer; as well as the people who have added us to pray list, prayed, called, emailed, visited, and sent gifts and well wishes. My mom is truly an amazing person. She is the most giving and kind person I know (I am partial, but anyone who has ever encountered her, I am sure would agree). The good way she has led her life is showing with all of the support we are receiving and yes, we need it all.

I do not plan on sending out anymore email updates. I have temporarily opened up my blog site and will post the information there. Please feel free to comment or send me an email.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kim,Christy and Todd and family, We are so sorry to hear of your mom's failing health. We pray for her pain to ease and for the strength that He can give all of you in the time to come. We are here if you need us but rest assured you are all in our prayers daily. We don't want to impose on your lives but if we can do ANYTHING for you, please-please let us be there for you.
Loads of Love and God Bless,
Theresa & Sonny Godso
sgodso@bellsouth.net

Anonymous said...

Oh Kim, Carol and I are so sorry to hear the news about your Mother. Please be sure that you, your Mother and the rest of your family will be in our prayers. If there is anything we can do to help, please let us know. There are many miles between our homes but you remain very close to our hearts.

Jim

Anonymous said...

Kim, I wish I had words to say but as you know there are none. Please tell your Mom that we will keep her in our prayers and that we love her. Seeing your Mom in this shape has to be horrible and I am so sorry. Stay strong and know I am here if you need anything.

Love,
Karen

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about your mom. I will be thinking and praying for all of you.

Let me know if there anything I can do even if its just picking up Lauren to have a play "date" with her boyfriend Andrew.

JoLee Cangelosi

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about your mom I hope they can ease her pain. I can’t believe all of this. I will keep you and your family in my prayers. IF you need anything let me know. Do not hesitate to call me.

Michelle Brister

Anonymous said...

Kim,
Thanks for the update. Keep the faith, my friend. Know that we are praying for you guys. We have witnessed many miracles as a result of our devotions. With God's help, this will be another.
Take care and know that we love you.
Mary

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

I want you and all your sisters and brothers to know that me and my sisters are here for you.....you know we have walked in your shoes and it was our family and friends and us pulling together as a family that kept us going and most of all.. the prayers...

After my mom was diagnosed, we had her transferred to OLOL and she received radiation from Mary Bird....she was given great care and compassion at both facilities....

My heart is so full, forward me you phone number and we can talk.
Janet C. Wallace

Anonymous said...

Pam please forward this to Kim for me my heart is so broken I am fighting tears for her.

My precious little one, my heart breaks for you. I know your pain and I also there is nothing I can say to ease it losing my mom was horrible for me. BUT pray Kim pray for God to give you strength and hold her hand and yours thro this cross. Remember for her the best is yet to come, we that are left are the ones that suffer the most. I heard a story just yesterday of " the fork" and I will share with you. It was about a young lady dying of cancer, her pastor came to her at her request she was making her preparations and asked him to be sure and see that her family buried her with a fork--------------because when she was little she knew when her granny was clearing the table after a meal and said keep your fork----------that meant something good was fixing to be served. She said she knew that when she had left this world she wanted her fork because the best was yet to come.

I had the pleasure of meeting your mom when we were going thro a tragedy in our life and I feel I am a pretty good judge of people, she is one strong lady. She will fight the fight and will need all of you to cheer her on. Never give up no matter how bleak the situation is when she gets tired she will let you know. I also beg you to go see Sr. Dulce she is an awesome lady and she can help you with this tribuation. She is the lead in God's pencil. She has been such an inspiration to Ben, Pam and I.

Just know we are all her for you whatever you need consider it done and I will pray for all of you. With God all things are possible and I believe that with all my heart don't give up just ask the Lord to help you accept His will.

My love-----------Jeannette

Anonymous said...

DEAR CAROLYN & FAMILY- PRAYER FOR FORTITUDE-DEAR JESUS, LAY YOUR WOUNDED HAND UPON MY WEARY HEAD, AND TEACH ME TO HAVE COURAGE IN THE PATHS THAT I MUST TREAD. BLESS ME, AND THOSE WHOM I LOVE, AND GIVE US GRACE TO SEE THESE CROSSES BRAVELY BORNE BY US WILL KEEP US CLOSE TO THEE. AND IF AT TIMES A SHADOW FALLS IN UNEXPECTED WAYS, PUT YOUR GENTLE HAND IN MINE AND GUIDE ME THROUGH THE DAYS. SO BLESS MY PEOPLE, ONE AND ALL, WITH THY PROTECTING GRACE, AND IMPART TO THEM THY WISDOM ERE THEY MEET THEE FACE TO FACE. GOD BLESS & WE WILL STAY IN TOUCH. YOUR COUSINS - LOVE JUDY & GARY-