Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Ortho appointment results :(

I have typed, erased, and re-typed now six times. I seem to be having trouble finding the right words today so I am going to just type what I think.

Mom will NOT be getting the rods put into her femurs. The risks are too many compared to the positive. Because the bones are so brittle... she is prone to fractures. Because the bones are so brittle... she has a 50-60% chance that the screws at the head of the femur that hold the rod will probably come out. Because of the lesion (under her breast)... this increases the chance of infections if they were to place the rod(s) in the femur(s). If they were to place the rods and the screws would come out, then she would have to go into another major surgery and have the whole area (pelvis/hip/leg) rebuilt. All of these surgeries would not guarantee that she could or would be able to walk. With each surgery the pain could increase; which these are not the root of any pain she is currently having.

The good news is that at this time, she is in good spirits, has no pain other than the initial complaint (L2 area shooting down her buttock/side to her knee), her appetite seems to be coming back, the tumors treated with radiation seem to be shrinking, and she has everyone supporting and praying for her.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kim and family,

Know that we are all keeping your mom and all your family in our prayers. You know as the 1st grandchild in the family...your mom has a special place in our hearts...we were talking about her being the 1st this past weekend. God has the final say in in all things...so as my mom told us.."Keep the Faith"...
love ya..Janet Wallace

Dawn said...

I agree with Janet. There IS always a plan....and it's HIS plan. :) Here's to "keeping the faith!"